In Retrospect

Friday, December 30, 2005

As 2005 draws to a close, I feel like reminiscing what I experienced during the whole of this year. Some, good. Some, not so good.

The year started off with me feeling very confident that I can complete my final year project within the stipulated time of 1 semester (4.5 months). Even though I started the semester by playing games and procrastinating my work, I was definitely sure that I can complete it. And we all know what happened next: extension, further procrastination, etc. But finally I was able to finish the project (even got an A!) in the June 2005 Semester. And for that, Alhamdulillah. Lesson to be learned: Never procrastinate, and make sure to manage my time well!

Another personal highlight of 2005 would also be the start of my relationship with my girlfriend. :)

2005 also was the year where I began to understand how working at a power plant is. I had opportunities to visit power plants and see their work, and frankly speaking, I was kinda dismayed with what I saw: most of the work is routine and kinda boring, in my opinion. I know, as usual, it's always how YOU yourself make of the experience. Sometimes, things can be kinda boring and routine but if you're positive-minded enough, you can still learn and do a lot of new things. But still... somehow during those visits (and future exposure to power plant work) I grew a bit unsure whether I wanted to work in power plants, or was I just FORCING myself to work in there?

Cue Technip. My Industrial Training experience with Technip showed me what type of work in Mechanical Engineering that I like: design, project management and consultancy! Conversations with my colleagues during those weeks slowly made me feel certain of not wanting to work as a Mechanical Engineer for TNB. They even gave me the financial situation I would be if I did not work for TNB, what I would have to pay, and how advantageous it would be; frankly, it really helped me make up my mind!

2005 also was the year that my brother finally held his wedding ceremony. It was my first experience as a host for a ceremony as huge as that, and at least, now I know what to expect when my turn is up next! ;)

My sister's graduation was also held in 2005, of which I feel proud (and a bit weird I might add: camne adik boleh grad dulu daripada abang?;)). I also felt worried to hear that the London bombings which happened in 2005 occurred when my family (with the exception of me and my youngest sister) was in the UK! Alhamdulillah, everyone was OK.

And again Alhamdulillah, I was able to graduate in 2005 (but not yet my convocation: it will happen in 2006, insyaAllah), with a CGPA of 3.48. Yes, I ever so sliiiiiiiightly missed 3.50, but I'm used to it already. Remember my KMYS A-Level results where I also missed obtaining the minimum required 12-points by YTN by a mere 1 grade? Hehe. Nevertheless, I am thankful to Allah because 3.48 is still a very, very good CGPA. Alhamdulillah. :)

2005 also saw me starting my job hunt. I planned to even write snail mail applications to companies, but I always tangguh doing it, and thus even now I haven't even wrote a single snail mail application! But I sent a boat-load of Internet applications, via Jobstreet and also via respective companies' websites. Some replied, most didn't. As of the writing of this entry, I got invitations from 5 companies to go for interviews, and only got a job offer for 1. I will be taking that job offer, unless something urgent/important changes my mind.

Those would be the most important events that I have experienced. And what am I looking forward to in 2006? Everything! I hope 2006 will be an adventurous yet rewarding year for everyone, and hope that I can be a better Muslim, insyaAllah. Amin.


Posted by Nikman Shah at 3:46 pm
|

***


Google

My Photo
Name:
Location: Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

I'm an average guy, what else? ;)

Some rantings...

Ideas For Life? Hehe. That's where I work. ;)

Comments anyone...?


My friends and I...

My Website (under construction)
Jan's
Burn's
Faza's
Lini's
Lin's
Juju's
Indra's
Faizan's
Hizam's
Ecstacy's
Kak An's
Nick Prose's
Ezwann's
Mooke's
Wanie's
Aisyah's
Yati's
Abu's
Nik's
Nisa's
Syah's
Teek's
Jordan's
Lutfi's
Syah's
Pakdi's
Ikrom's
B's
Carlotta's
Ezz's
Jojo's
Marina's

Credits...

blogger for engine.
blogskins for the skins.
serendipityq for layout.
hello for the hello program.
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

My archives...